Re: DMA problem (?) w/2.4.6-xfs and ServerWorks OSB4 Chipset

From: Benjamin S. Scarlet (lk-receive@greynode.net)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 10:20:12 EST

On Thursday 27 September 2001 06:55 pm, Alan Cox wrote:
> Long answer "I have been chasing a specific problem with OSB4, seagate
> drives and UDMA corruption. We can reliably reproduce it and see it on one
> set of machines. Serverworks cannot reproduce it elsewhere"

> I would thus be very interested if the current -ac "hardware just did
> something impossibly stupid" trap is hit.

Are you otherwise interested in machines seeing this problem? I have a
candidate. I'm running a SuperMicro 370DL3 with a Seagate ST320423A. For the
sake of simplicity I turned off DMA and filled the whole drive full of
zeroes. I see data corruption (non-zero data) on an otherwise inactive
machine just reading the drive back with "od", if I have DMA on with some
settings (udma2 in particular fails). Currently I'm using just kernel 2.4.9,
but if it would be useful I could run tests with kernels of your choosing.

        Ben Scarlet