Re: 3ware discontinuing the Escalade Series

From: rugolsky@ead.dsa.com
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 11:52:59 EST

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 09:09:40AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 02:19:42PM -0400, Jason Giglio wrote:
> > 3ware has decided to discontinue their escalade series IDE RAID controller
> > cards. The drivers were open source and in the kernel tree.
>
> OK, this sucks because I like those cards a lot. Before I go out and
> stock up on a bunch of them, is there anything else out there that works
> as well and is supported by Linux?

Not that I know of; the other cards just don't seem to scale as well.
There are a number of comparative reviews to be found on the web. See,
for example:
http://www.hardwarezone.com/php/pcodes/reviews.php3?_di=2&_c=10&_aid=2001-02-23+20:21:34

What a shame.

I have it on some authority that 3ware doesn't want to sell controllers
any more because they want to move upmarket into the storage arena
where there are better margins, and they don't want to compete against
other integrators using their hardware.

I really like my 7800. At this point I guess I'm going to convert from
hard to soft RAID, on the theory that (unfixed) bugs in the firmware are less
likely to botch JBOD.

Regards,

  Bill Rugolsky