Re: Desperately missing a working "pselect()" or similar...

From: Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 18:22:00 EST

On Friday October 5, alex@pennace.org wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 10:36:53PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> > In article <3BBDD37D.56D7B359@isg.de> you wrote:
> > > Without a proper pselect() implementation (the one in glibc is just
> > > a mock-up that doesn't prevent the race condition) I'm currently
> > > unable to come up with a good idea on how to wait on both types
> > > of events.
> >
> > Isnt select() returning with EINTR?
>
> The select system call doesn't return EINTR when the signal is caught
> prior to entry into select.

A technique I used in a similar situation once went something like:

tv.tv_sec=bignum;
tv.tv_usec = 0;
enable_signals();
select(nfds, &readfds,&writefds,0,&tv);

and have the signal handlers set tv.tv_sec to 0. (tv is a global
variable).

Then if the signal comes before the select, the select exits
immediately.

NeilBrown