low-latency patches

From: Bob McElrath (mcelrath+linux@draal.physics.wisc.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 01:05:19 EST

It seems there are two low-latency projects out there. The one by Robert Love:
    http://tech9.net/rml/linux/
and the original one:
    http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/schedlat.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the former uses spinlocks to know when it can
preempt the kernel, and the latter just tries to reduce latency by adding
(un)conditional_schedule and placing it at key places in the kernel?

My questions are:
1) Which of these two projects has better latency performance? Has anyone
    benchmarked them against each other?
2) Will either of these ever be merged into Linus' kernel (2.5?)
3) Is there a possibility that either of these will make it to non-x86
    platforms? (for me: alpha) The second patch looks like it would
    straightforwardly work on any arch, but the config.in for it is only in
    arch/i386. Robert Love's patches would need some arch-specific asm...

Thanks,
-- Bob

Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu)
Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics