Re: Quotactl change

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 06 2001 - 13:25:06 EST

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Jan Kara wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm sending you a change for quotactl interface which Nathan Scott proposed
> for XFS. Actually it's his patch with just a few changes from me.
> It allows quotactl() to be overidden by a filesystem and so XFS can do it's
> tricks with quota without patching dquot.c. Sideeffect of this change is a
> cleanup in quotactl() interface :).

[snip]

        Umm... So you've just given to each fs driver a syscall with
completely unspecified arguments? I _really_ doubt that it's a good
idea, especially since each instance will have to copy structures
to/from userland.

        Please, put switch by the first argument and copy_{to,from}_user()
into the syscall itself. Yes, it means more methods, but it helps to avoid
large PITA couple of years down the road.