Re: Context switch times

From: bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 10:19:49 EST

In article <3BC067BB.73AF1EB5@welho.com> Mika.Liljeberg@welho.com wrote:

>Yes. However, you still want to balance the queues even if all CPUs are
>100% utilized. It's a fairness issue. Otherwise you could have 1 task
>running on one CPU and 49 tasks on another.

  You say that as if it were a bad thing... I believe that if you have
one long running task and many small tasks in the system CPU affinity
will make that happen now. Obviously not if all CPUs are 100% loaded,
and your 1 vs. 49 is unrealistic, but having a task stay with a CPU
while trivia run on other CPU(s) is generally a good thing under certain
load conditions, which I guess are no less likely than your example;-)

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 "If I were a diplomat, in the best case I'd go hungry.  In the worst