Dump corrupts ext2?

From: Lew Wolfgang (wolfgang@sweet-haven.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 18:03:48 EST

Hi Folks,

I was looking for some scripts to backup ext2 partitions
to multiple CDR's when I stumbled onto "cdbackup" at
http://www.cableone.net/ccondit/cdbackup/.

Alas, there is a warning saying:

"WARNING! When using this program under Linux, be sure not to use
 dump with kernels in the 2.4.x series. Using dump on an ext2
 filesystem has a very high potential for causing filesystem
 corruption. As of kernel version 2.4.5, this has not been
 resolved, and it may not be for some time."

I don't recall any problems like this, does anyone have
additional comments?

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang