Re: [2.4.10] README and Documentation/Changes inconsistent

From: D. Stimits (stimits@idcomm.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 23:48:25 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > These files state different C compiler requirements. Which one is
> > correct?
>
> gcc 2.95.[3,4] is probably the compiler of choice

My first attempt at this question didn't seem to make it in. On RH 7.1,
which has kgcc (2.91.66) and gcc 2.96, will it be necessary to install a
third compiler for stable 2.4.10+ compiles? Can kgcc still work for
this? I'm one of the people running XFS filesystem, and the XFS code
works well with kgcc, but it makes me nervous to think about using
anything else with XFS kernels. I would be greatly relieved if 2.91.66
remains useable throughout the 2.4.x series.

D. Stimits, stimits@idcomm.com