Re: Modutils 2.5 change, start running this command now

From: Benjamin LaHaise (bcrl@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 05:04:20 EST

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:45:58PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> In current modutils, a module that does not export symbols and does not
> say EXPORT_NO_SYMBOLS will default to exporting all symbols. This is a
> hangover from kernel 2.0 and will be removed when modutils 2.5 appears,
> shortly after the kernel 2.5 branch is created.
>
> Starting with modutils 2.5, modules must explicitly say what their
> intention is for symbols. That will break a lot of existing modules.

Isn't EXPORT_NO_SYMBOLS the default case for 99.44% of modules? It seems
to me that the lameness incurred in adding an EXPORT_NO_SYMBOLS line to
each and every driver that one writes is a pointless additional hoop to
jump through. I'd rather break the modules that are relying on behaviour
that was deprecated several *years* ago than go through another make-work
project.

                -ben