Re: keyboard + PS/2 mouse locks after opening psaux

From: Marius Gedminas (mgedmin@centras.lt)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 08:33:22 EST

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 10:04:06PM +0200, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> I had the same symptoms, console input froze for several minutes. I tried
> several things and after disabling CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC in the kernel, it
> didn't occur anymore (but I'm not sure it's the cause).

CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is disabled on my system.

Today I tried some experimenting: after repeatedly switching between vt1
and vt7 for some time I got the lockup. Syslog didn't contain any
interesting messages. The counters for keyboard and PS/2 mouse in
/proc/interrupts became stuck. One interesting thing I noticed is that
PS/2 mouse line disappeared for a short time during console switch.
While gpm was running, fuser and lsof indicate that it didn't have
/dev/mouse open -- only XFree86 did.

I've waited for about 30 minutes for any keyboard timeouts to appear,
but didn't see any. Then I tried chvt 7 with no effect (vt7 was already
the active console). Then chvt 1 fixed the lockup. Interrupt counters
went alive again. This time fuser and lsof showed that /dev/mouse is
opened by gpm only. It looks like both XFree and gpm close /dev/mouse
when they're not active, and reopen it then they become active.

I'm now compiling 2.4.9 with some printk()s added in open_aux and
release_aux. If I get any interesting results, I'll post them here.

Marius Gedminas

--
When all else fails, read the instructions.