Re: TCP acking too fast

From: Mika Liljeberg (Mika.Liljeberg@welho.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 02:51:56 EST

"David S. Miller" wrote:

> From: Mika Liljeberg <Mika.Liljeberg@welho.com>
> Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:05:33 +0300
>
> I've attached a fragment of tcpdump output from the middle of steady
> state transfer. Looking at the dump, it seems that most arriving
> segments have the PSH bit set. This leads me to believe that the
> transfer is mostly application limited at the sender side.
>
> This means the application is doing many small writes.

Nope, it simply means that the remote machine has a 100 Mbit Ethernet
card that keeps emptying the transmit queue faster than it can be
filled.

> To be honest,
> to only sure way to cure any performance problems from that is to
> fix the application in question. What is this application?

I don't control the remote machine, but it's linux (don't know which
version). I tried with both HTTP (Apache 1.3.9) and FTP. I doubt it's
the application. :-)

Regards,

        MikaL