Re: kswapd is CPU-hungry (kernel 2.4.2-2)

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 04:47:28 EST

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, D Campbell wrote:

> after searching the archives i'm still a bit concerned
> about the CPU usage of kswapd on a machine with lots of memory.
>
> summary:
> kswapd at 66% CPU. 1G RAM. ~800M taken by ramdisks. no swap.

OK, I think the problem is that the system allocates so much
highmem pages for the ramdisk that it's become impossible for
kswapd to ever meet the free target.

I _think_ this has been fixed in a more recent -ac kernel,
but haven't tested it with such a huge ramdisk...

If it is possible, could you test 2.4.12-ac3 ?
(if it's still broken, I'll go fix it)

regards,

Rik

--