Re: The new X-Kernel !

From: john slee (indigoid@higherplane.net)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 10:37:47 EST

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 02:54:15PM +0200, Tim Jansen wrote:
> But what the kernel COULD do is include something like the Linux Progress
> Patch (http://lpp.freelords.org/). It replaces the text output of the kernel
> with graphics and a progress bar, so people are not frightened by cryptic
> text output while booting.

this is something for distributions to do... even if the world turned
inside out and it got included there'd be endless flamewars (and
patches) concerning what colour the progress bar should be by default.

i read an interesting essay about that sort of thing on a freebsd list
once - search on freebsd archives for "garden shed" or similar.

j.

--
R N G G   "Well, there it goes again... And we just sit
 I G G G   here without opposable thumbs." -- gary larson