Re: The new X-Kernel !

From: Malcolm H. Teas (mhteas@btech.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 11:09:52 EST

Tim Jansen wrote:

> On Sunday 21 October 2001 09:37, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
>
>>moved into kernel space :) IMHO it's strictly user space issue. You can
>>start X or gdm/xdm/kdm from a boot script and so on. No kernel modification
>>is needed for this.
>>

> But what the kernel COULD do is include something like the Linux Progress
> Patch (http://lpp.freelords.org/). It replaces the text output of the kernel
> with graphics and a progress bar, so people are not frightened by cryptic
> text output while booting.

But what graphics resources does the LPP require? If it's more restricted than
the current Linux boot process it affects server-oriented machines that aren't
running X or graphics, that just serve resources on the net.

I'd not like to see the minimum bar for hardware compatibility raised without
very good cause. Boot time messages aren't a good cause for me. YMMV.

My feeling: At best it should be an option only, and default to no LPP.

-Malcolm Teas