Re: ext2 vs. ext3?

From: Gábor Lénár (lgb@lgb.hu)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 14:39:06 EST

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 03:13:38AM +0800, Federico Sevilla III wrote:
> Basically ext3 builds on ext2 to add journalling support, which means
> significantly less (almost nil) fsck time in the eventuality of an unclean
> powerdown.

By the way ... And what's about index usage in ext2(ext3) directories?
Some months ago there was a benchmark sheet publicated in this list and
it shown major performance win on handling large directories. Is it considered
to include into ext2/ext3 implementation in Linus or Alan Cox series of kernels?
Or probably did I miss something?

> For now XFS and JFS provide patches to allow you to get working kernel
> support for them. I personally use XFS and have found that it is very
> stable, as have a lot of other fellow XFS users. I'm not saying it's the
> absolute best. But I'm saying it's great, and is fairly stable. :)

Yes, our country-wide proxy server is XFS/Linux based.

- Gabor