RE: The new X-Kernel !

From: Sean Cavanaugh (seanc@gearboxsoftware.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 23:44:48 EST

Well this thread is sort of a silly argument to begin with, seeing as
all my Linux machines except one don't even have monitors attached to
them :)

I can argue the other side of the fence just as easily . . .
The messages can be handy for figuring out what piece of hardware or
kernel service is taking ages to load when one of them suddenly decides
to take an unusually long time start. Try piecing that kind of
information out of a dmesg output. I would rather see
'system/module foo loading . . .'
' module specific startup information (stuff we already see in
startup'
'system/module foo loaded in .xxx seconds'

Also ,I also wouldn't really advocate hiding the messages anyway, since
there are thousands of areas elsewhere (outside of the Kernel) to spend
time on and improve usability which would have more of a real impact to
users.