RE: Linux 2.2.20pre10

From: Craig Dickson (crdic@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 15:57:59 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> However until people stop shooting I'd prefer not to be a potential
> target.

Mr. Cox,

I understand your concern for your own safety, though I disagree with
your evaluation of the danger in this case.

However, I think it's fair to say that the production and distribution
of complete changelogs, such that all users have access to them, is an
important part of the job of being the official maintainer for a
project, especially such an important project as the stable branch of
the Linux kernel.

So it sounds to me like what you're really saying is that you are
unwilling to take the risks that, under the current circumstances, you
perceive as an unavoidable part of the task of maintaining the kernel.

I don't buy the argument you seem to be implying, that you can fulfil
your responsibilities as kernel maintainer by making this information
available in such a way that US residents cannot obtain it. From the
statistics I've seen in the past, a high percentage of Linux users are
US residents. It is surely unreasonable to suggest that withholding
information from all those people is compatible with being the official
kernel maintainer.

You are aware, no doubt, that Linus Torvalds is currently resident in
the US. If you are unable to give him complete changelogs and
explanations of the patches you submit to him, I can't imagine how you
could continue to perform effectively as a Linux kernel developer.

Perhaps you should step down. This would not only be the honest and
honorable thing to do, if you truly believe that distributing changelogs
to the US would place you in legal jeopardy, but it would also be a far
more dramatic act of protest than merely censoring changelogs.

Respectfully,

Craig Dickson