Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 16:32:11 EST

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > Maybe Alan will allow publishing of the changelogs on
> > http://thefreeworld.net/ ?
>
> Earlier today he said he wanted to put them online in a way that
> US citizens couldn't get at them. That's simply not acceptable.

It's perfectly fine with me ;)

> Now, if he backs off to simply not including them in email, but
> publishing them on a non-US website that is freely accessible to
> Americans, that might be a reasonable compromise.

We're working on implementing access control for
thefreeworld.net so the classified content won't
be available for citizens and inhabitants of the
USA.

This is done so we won't be liable for publishing
things to the USA which would be illegal there.

> Alan has done a great many wonderful things for the kernel, and
> it would indeed be very sad if he could not continue to do so.
> However, if he's unwilling to do the job completely, making
> changelogs and all other public information available without
> restrictions, then he is no longer doing a very important part
> of his job, and someone else should take over.

So if the SSSCA gets approved and open source is outlawed
(because only software with 'approved security measures'
is allowed) Linux should stop entirely ?

I don't agree that one US law, which hurts US citizens,
should also hurt the rest of the world. It's your country,
it's your law, it should only hurt you...

regards,

Rik

--
DMCA, SSSCA, W3C?  Who cares?  http://thefreeworld.net/  (volunteers needed)