Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 18:56:41 EST

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 05:27:06PM -0500, Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:

> Even if every Linux user in the US speaks out against it (and I'm sure
> a lot of us already have), I doubt it will make any difference at all.

I'm sure that a couple of tens of thousands of well-informed
Open-Source/Free Speech proponents attending Sklyarovs trial would draw
attention.

Similarly a large manifestion on the day of the hearing on SSSCA,
preferably with known (important!) professors, scientists, authors, etc
giving lectures on why DMCA/SSSCA is so bad for
freedom/economy/whatever, would probably give quite some
column-millimetres.

> There just aren't enough of us. But hey, you and the rest of the
> world will still have Linux, so who cares, right? It's great to see
> such enthusiastic support for the principles of free software.

I think few, if anyone, has said anything such.
But I do know, that an Alan at home, co-working with his under-ground
cluster of gnomes, does a hell-of-a-lot more good for free software
than an Alan in a US-prison as yet another victim of "justice".

> My personal opinion is that no one in this discussion is really
> concerned about getting arrested or sued over publishing Linux
> changelogs. I think it's all just a publicity stunt to make a point,
> at the expense of those who have no choice in the matter. In any

Ahhhh. So you argue, that this is a publicity-stunt pulled by Alan,
and at the same time complain about the fact that the people fighting
the DMCA/SSSCA don't get enough attention? That is, you complain about
an alleged attempt to pull attention to an idiotic law, yet whine about
the fact that it's hard to get enough attention about this law?

> case, I'm thoroughly disgusted with the whole subject and don't intend
> to answer any more posts or emails about it.

Ok.

/David Weinehall
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </