Re: Linux 2.2.20pre10

From: Thomas Hood (jdthood@home.dhs.org)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 22:45:37 EST

In your letter you describe Alan as an "official" maintainer
of the stable kernel, but there isn't such a thing. Alan
is a volunteer who works his butt off integrating patches
from other volunteers in order to produce a useful series of
Linux kernels. He has apparently decided, however, to limit
his volunteer contributions to those that aren't liable to
land him in jail sometime in the future.

You seem to think that Alan is just being paranoid or petty,
but you are wrong. U.S. law makes OSS coding legally risky.
Alan's duties require him to handle a lot of code, which
increases his exposure to the risk. Furthermore, his
position in the community makes him an attractive target for
any entity that decides to attack the open source software
community with legal weapons. Remember Sklyarov.

--
Thomas Hood