Re: 2.4.13-pre6 breaks Nvidia's kernel module

From: Jesper Juhl (juhl@eisenstein.dk)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 04:05:48 EST

jarausch@belgacom.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> yes I know, you don't like modules without full sources available.
> But Nvidia is the leading vendor of video cards and all 2.4.x
> kernels up to 2.4.13-pre5 work nice with this module.
>
> Running pre6 I get
> (==) NVIDIA(0): Write-combining range (0xf0000000,0x2000000)
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate LUT context DMA
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
>

> This is Nvidia's 1.0-1541 version of its Linux drivers

I use the same version of the driver with my Geforce3 and I am also
running 2.4.13-pre6 and it works just fine so I don't agree with you
that it breaks...
You do know that there are a few files that need to be recompiled every
time you build a new kernel - right?

See "http://www.nvidia.com/docs/lo/1021/SUPP/README.txt" for details.

Here's a quote from that file explaining what I do myself - that should
work for you:

"
INSTALLING/UPGRADING BY TAR FILE Instructions for the Impatient:

       $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz
       $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz
       $ cd NVIDIA_kernel
       $ make install
       $ cd ../NVIDIA_GLX
       $ make install

Instructions:

To install from tar file, unpack each file:
       $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz
       $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz

cd into the NVIDIA_kernel directory. Type 'make install'. This will
compile the kernel interface to the NVdriver, link the NVdriver, copy
the NVdriver into place, and attempt to insert the NVdriver into the
running kernel:

       $ cd NVIDIA_kernel
       $ make install

Next, move into the NVIDIA_GLX directory. Type 'make install' -- this
will copy the needed OpenGL and XFree86 files into place:
       $ cd ../NVIDIA_GLX
       $ make install

Note that the "make install" for each package will remove any previously
installed NVIDIA drivers.
"

Best regards,
Jesper Juhl