unnumbered interfaces?

From: Mark Clayton (mark@brown-pelican.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 18:55:11 EST

I'm trying to understand unnumbered interfaces. From
searching the web, they seem to be point-to-point links
that do not have IP numbers (hence the name). This is
what alludes:

 1) How do you set a pair on linux boxes to do this? ppp?
 2) How would a program send data across the link? Via
sockets? Or thru /dev/something0?
 3) Does it make sense that to use ethernet? Not to me
but sometimes I'm wrong :)

I'm sure I'm missing the obvious. I usually do. Can
anyone shed some light on this topic?

Thanks,
Mark

--