Re: [RFC] New Driver Model for 2.5

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 05:54:07 EST

> case, there's not much left to the controller, it isn't supposed to
> have any command in queue nor receive any new one once all it's child
> drivers have suspended.

scsi devices are children of the scsi subststem (sd, sg, sr, st, osst) not
of the controller. That is how the state flows anyway. Only sr/sd etc know
what the state is for a given device on power off as they may issue
multiple requests per action true transaction. sg would have to simply
refuse any suspend if open (think about cd-burning or even worse firmware
download)

So the scsi devices hang off sd, sr etc which in turn hang off scsi and
the controllers hang off scsi (and or the bus layers)

This one at least I think I do understand