Re: time tells all about kernel VM's

From: Luigi Genoni (kernel@Expansa.sns.it)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 13:05:32 EST

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, safemode wrote:

> ok. Reran e2defrag and got the same effect.
> This is the vmstat output by the second. It starts out with my normal load
> (but no mp3s playing). Then i start e2defrag with the same arguments as
> before and allow it to run all the way through. It ends but i dont close it
> until near the very end (which is seen by the swap dropoff. Then i let my
> normal load again be displayed a bit. One thing i did notice, however, was
> that the vm handled that quite a lot better than how it handled it after
> being up for 5 days even though it created the 600MB of buffer.

If I do remember well e2defrag was working just with ext2 with 1k as block
size, and latest version compiled with 2.0.12 kernel, (I made also a patch
to compile with 2.0.X kernels after), then ext2 simply evolved and
e2defrag did not. (by the way e2defrag sources are really isstructive to
learn how a blockFS works).

I used e2defrag since earlier versions, (just with old slow disk, now it
is almost useless, and I went to journaled FSes). If I do remember well,
the behavoiur you are telling was usual with 2.0 kernels.
If the pool is to big, i saw that e2dump shows a lot of inode that left
their group (sic!), and also there could be some FS corruption.
e2defrag was writter to use buffer cache, and now VM changed in details
this behaviour. It could be that what you see is due to those changes?