Re: HPT366 and 80G Maxtor Diamondmaxes

From: Janne Liimatainen (jeppe@arabuusimiehet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 09:15:57 EST

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > the HPT 1.25 bios seems to be buggy and detects the 80 gig maxtors as 13 gigs.
>
> there's no reason you have to use the bios's detection.
> but this looks more like "someone turned off LBA" problem.

Yea I found a beta 1.28 bios and that fixed the detection problem, but it
still does not count as enabled in Linux.

> > Kernel 2.4.9 reports the highpoint controller as dma disabled by bios and the
> > drives get max. 2 megabytes/s speeds. Is there a way to get dma on? hdparm -d1
> > just reports operation not permitted.
>
> autodma.

It is of course on. And I cannot turn it on as you usually can with
hdparm. Maybe the problem lies on the machine - it is an old
dell poweredge dual p2 with an eisa-chipset. I tried all 3 PCI-slots it
had but no difference. Maybe the dell bios does not enable it or
does not support busmastering or something alike?
Usually the HPT366 driver reports ide3: <addresses etc> but this time it
only reports ide3: disabled by bios.

Thanks for your help!

/Janne