Re: modprobe problem with block-major-11

From: Mike Castle (dalgoda@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 11:39:05 EST

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:03:56PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> The problem is caused by a bash "feature", it was added in bash 2.01.

Gotcha. I take it you've seen this before then? :->

I didn't see any mention of this the docs. Would it be worth while to add
what you just wrote to a PROBLEMS file?

> Workaround: Replace
> pre-install foo modprobe bar
> with
> before foo bar

Will do.

> That does all the work internally without using the system() function
> and falling foul of the bash feature. It is also faster and it lets
> modprobe maintain the chain of modules for unload.
>
> BTW, users can never run rmmod, only root can do that.

Right. But it IS with root that rmmod -a is failing.

Maybe I'll get lucky and it will magically start working when I switch to
the above?

Appreciate your help!
mrc

--