Re: [livid-gatos] [RFC] alternative kernel multimedia API

From: volodya@mindspring.com
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 18:14:47 EST

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Nate Dannenberg wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 volodya@mindspring.com wrote:
>

> > After looking at and working with Xv, v4l and v4l2 I became somewhat
> > dissatisfied with the current state of affairs. I have attached a
> > description of the API that would make (at least) me much happier.
> >
> > I would very much appreciate comments from interested people..
>
> I'm not a coder for Linux or X, but I figured this would be a good read
> anyway, as it might provide some ideas for a similar (albeit less complex)
> issue on another platform I use >:-)
>
> Anyways since this is an RFC, here's the only a couple of comments I can
> think of (the RFC otherwise looks clear to me):
>

> Commands/queries should also include some kind of (arbitrary, decided by the
> calling program) command serial number, so that an out-of-sequence reply
> (those prepended with a colon as you describe) can be matched to a previous
> command/query. This could allow several commands to be sent and handled by
> multiple processes/threads/whatever.

out of sequence replies are meant to be volunteered by the driver, not
requested by the application (thought the application may want to turn
on/off their generation) I thought about putting a restriction that
prohibits the user application from doing this: write one query, write
another query, read one reply, read another reply and instead require it
to always: write query, read all replies, repeat if necessary. This will
conserve the space used by buffers for the control device.

                        Vladimir Dergachev