Re: Looking for bsd file system tools under linux .

From: Mr. James W. Laferriere (babydr@baby-dragons.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 16:58:40 EST

        Hello Andreas ,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2001 14:58 -0400, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> > Hello All , I am looking for pointers to bsd file system tools
> > for use under Linux . A couple of searchs left me empty .
> > I am hoping someone here has a pointer or two .
> > What this is for is , I have a disk drive off of a bsd4.2 system
> > that may have been used in a penetration of another system .
> > The fstab file points at there having been a /var file system but
> > when I do a 'fdisk -l' a partition for /var does not exist . Only
> > two partitions are there for / & /usr . I am looking for some
> > tools to see if the partiton was removed or if 'parted' may have
> > been been used to squeese it out . Thank you for any pointers .
>
> You may need to have BSD partition support enabled in the kernel in order
> to access the partition. I would think fdisk would be able to show the
> right data in all cases, but I've never used BSD partitions before either.
        Yes , Been there done that ;-) . All fdisk showed was the two
        partitions mentioned above . What I am trying to accertain is if
        the partition has been removed & squashed or just mislayed in a
        bad entry in the old 2.4.5 kernel I was running . I am at present
        getting the digging machine upto 2.4.13 . Tia , JimL