Re: Virtual(?) kernel root

From: Thierry Laronde (tlaronde@polynum.com)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 07:40:16 EST

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 10:25:27AM +0200, Kari Hurtta wrote:

> > Has an equivalent scheme being already discussed?
>
> On linux/fs/namespace.c there is following comment: (from linux 2.4.12)
>
> /*
> * Absolutely minimal fake fs - only empty root directory and nothing else.
> * In 2.5 we'll use ramfs or tmpfs, but for now it's all we need - just
> * something to go with root vfsmount.
> */
> <...>
> static DECLARE_FSTYPE(root_fs_type, "rootfs", rootfs_read_super, FS_NOMOUNT);
>

> But I do not think that that comment refers to equivalent scheme
> than what you are proposing.

Thanks for the tip. For the major part (don't speaking about /kbin or
something like that), I think the change would be more a way to see the
stuff than a lot of coding changes. In this case, having always and a
sole kernel root, will allow to mount all sort of fs (virtual or not),
and to allow kernel threads to refere to this unchanged root.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde@polynum.org>