Re: Ethernet NIC dual homing

From: willy tarreau (wtarreau@yahoo.fr)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 18:07:51 EST

> Are there issues with using MII to detect link
> state? I thought it was fairly reliable...

no, there are examples with too long lines, or
scratched wires where the links stay up, but even arp
doesn't work.

> How are you using arp packets to detect if the link
> is up? Sending it out to your own MAC address?

no, simply sending ARP request for a known IP address
which will reply, so generate traffic that can be
counted to tell wether a NIC seems working or not.

I didn't try to set my own IP address though. Perhaps
with arp_filter properly set this could be usefull...

Regards,
Willy