Re: pre6 BUG oops

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 13:19:31 EST

In article <20011031.094112.125896630.davem@redhat.com>,
David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com> wrote:
> From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>
> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:25:21 -0500
>
> 2.4.14-pre6 on UP alpha, newly reformatted and reinstalled :)
>
> Machine was nowhere near OOM, and no other adverse messages appeared in
> dmesg. An rpm build and an rpm install were running in parallel.
>
>Hmmm... the oops suggests that truncate_complete_page() gets a page
>not in the page cache. The page count should be at least 2 when
>it gets passed there.

Indeed. Looks like somebody removed the page from the page cache
without removing it from the inode queue.

Which sounds rather impossible, as the two are always done together.

Maybe it's just the page count that is buggered, and we free it too
early as a result. Is this the same machine that had interesting
trouble before?

                Linus