2.4.12-ac3 floppy module requires 0x3f0-0x3f1 ioports

From: Maciej Zenczykowski (maze@druid.if.uj.edu.pl)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 19:00:28 EST

Hi All,

Is there any reason why the floppy module requires the ioport range
0x3f0-0x3f1 in order to load? On my computer /proc/ioports reports this
range as used by PnPBIOS PNP0c02, thus the floppy module cannot reserve
the range 0x3f0-0x3f5 and refuses to load.

I have taken a quick look at the port specification of the FDC and have
found no readon for any access to the 0x3f0 port, I have found a reason
for accessing the 0x3f1 port - but only on PS/2's. This ain't a PS/2 so
that is irrelevant. Furthermore analysis of the code fails to find any
place where these two ports would actually be used...

Deciding to take a try at it I changed the floppy module to reserve only
the 0x3f2-0x3f5 and 0x3f7 ports, recompiled and the module now loads.
I have not done any tests on it, however copying a diskette via mcopy,
mdir and plain old mount worked fine.

All in all I would say that at least in my case there is no reason for
floppy to reserve these two ports - I don't know about other machines
(especially PS/2's) - but I cannot see any use of them in the source code
any way.

Questions, Ideas?

Maciej Zenczykowski