Re: [OT] Intel chipset development documents

From: Greg Sheard (greg@ecsc.co.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 06:12:04 EST

On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 11:04, Martin Mares wrote:
> Hello!
>
> > I already have the configuration type down (it's 1), but the 430VX and
> > also the VIA 585 seem only to report host bridges. I'm unable to spot
> > the piece of code which does different PCI-related things for these
> > chipsets in the kernel. Does anybody know if a workaround is applied?
>
> It's quite strange -- can you send me 'lspci -vvx -MH1' output, please?

Well I would, but with the assistance of Martin Bligh from IBM I've
found my bug. Major thinko - there seems to be something funky in the
440BX chipset that allowed me to do something like:

  outl(PCI_CONF1_ADDRESS(bus, 0, dev, fn), 0xCF8);

but still returned the correct PCI information! The problem was that I'd
done my own inline for the addressing and, since I wasn't using reg, I'd
left it out. Somehow I'd managed to shift the important stuff around...

Thanks to everyone who's offered suggestions and documents, it's much
appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg.