Re: khttpd vs tux

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 11:49:45 EST

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 05:45:29PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> > tux holds all records, khttpd has been measured to be slower than some
> > userspace webservers.
>
> What's bad about tux, then? There usually is something...

The main hurdle for Tux is that it is not in the mainstream kernel, and
consists of a patch. I think RedHat has precompiled kernels with Tux in
them. The aa kernels also contain tux.

There are also strong indications that 'zero copy tcp/ip' may enable
userspace webservers to achieve comparable bandwidths (many gbits/second).
See for example X15: http://www.chromium.com/x15tech.html

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
Trilab                                 The Technology People