Re: [V4L] Re: [RFC] alternative kernel multimedia API

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 03:39:40 EST

Mark McClelland writes:
> volodya@mindspring.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Gerd Knorr wrote:

>>> You can't. But I don't see why this is a issue: The only thing a
>>> application can handle easily are controls like contrast/hue where the
>>> only thing a application needs to do is to map it to a GUI and let the
>>> user understand and adjust stuff. The other stuff has way to much
>>> non-trivial dependences, I doubt a application can blindly use new
>>> driver features.
>>
>> Have you ever thought that the reason we only use these controls is
>> because they are the only ones easy to implement now ?
>
> What I don't understand is how will your driver implement these controls
> in a generic V4L3 GUI control app automatically? No matter how powerful
> the semantic information you give to the app is, it can still only build
> interfaces from standard GUI components that it already knows about. The
> app cannot build a gamma curve control on its own. If it could, we
> wouldn't need programmers anymore :)

The driver provides this: /proc/v4l3/vid0/gamma.java

:-)

The very idea of a gamma table is featuritis. Just a single number
will do for most anyone. You get from 0.01 to 2.55 and "off" with
just 8 bits.

If you want to get fancy, I guess you need:

1 gamma value per primary
3 tri-stimulus values for each primary ("What color is red?")
3 tri-stimulus values for the whitepoint (maybe)
1 black level for each primary

That is 18 values at most.