Re: Adaptec vs Symbios performance

From: Gérard Roudier (groudier@free.fr)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 11:31:14 EST

Hi Stephan,

The difference in performance for your CD (slow device) between aic7xxx
and sym53c8xx using equi-capable HBAs (notably Ultra-160) cannot be
believed a single second to be due to a design flaw in the aic7xxx driver.

Instead of trying to prove Justin wrong with his driver, you should look
into your system configuration and/or provide Justin with accurate
information and/or do different testings in order to get some clue about
the real cause.

You may have triggerred a software/hardware bug somewhere, but I am
convinced that it cannot be a driver design bug.

In order to help Justin work on your problem, you should for example
report:

- The device configuration you set up in the controller EEPROM/NVRAM.
- The kernel boot-up messages.
- Your kernel configuration.
- Etc...

You might for example have unintentionnaly configured some devices in the
HBA set-up for disconnection not to be granted. Such configuration MISTAKE
is likely to kill SCSI performances a LOT.

  Gérard.

PS: If you are interested in Justin's ability to design software for SCSI,
then you may want to have a look into all FreeBSD IO-related stuff owned
by Justin.