Re: PROPOSAL: dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff]

From: Tim Jansen (tim@tjansen.de)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 16:42:54 EST

On Sunday 04 November 2001 22:20, Jakob Østergaard wrote:
> > > I could even live with parsing ASCII, as long as there'd just be type
> > > information to go with the values.
> > You are looking for something called the registry. It's something
> > that was introduced with Windows 95. It's basically a filesystem
> > with typed files: char, int, string, string array, etc.
> Having read out 64 bit values, floating point data etc. from the registry,
> I'm old enough to know that it is *NOT* what I'm looking for :)

Why? It's not bad only because it is from MS. IMHO the disadvantages of the
registry are:
- you need special software/syscalls to access it
- because of that making backups etc is hard
- the organization of the data is horrible

Assuming you could mount it as a regular filesystem and use it for kernel
configuration, what else are its disadvantages?

bye...