Re: Ext2 directory index, updated

From: Christian Laursen (xi@borderworlds.dk)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 17:09:41 EST

Daniel Phillips <phillips@bonn-fries.net> writes:

> ***N.B.: still for use on test partitions only.***

It's the first time, I've tried this patch and I must say, that
the first impression is very good indeed.

I took a real world directory (my linux-kernel MH folder containing
roughly 115000 files) and did a 'du -s' on it.

Without the patch it took a little more than 20 minutes to complete.

With the patch, it took less than 20 seconds. (And that was inside uml)

However, when I accidentally killed the uml, it left me with an unclean
filesystem which fsck refuses to touch because it has unsupported features.

Even the latest version does this.

Is there a patch for fsck, that fixes this somewhere?

--
Best regards
    Christian Laursen