Re: [Ext2-devel] disk throughput

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolabs.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 17:41:46 EST

On Nov 05, 2001 14:22 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> But I don't know. This is just all bullshit handwaving speculation.
> We need tests. Numbers. Does anyone have source to a filesystem
> aging simulation? The Smith/Seltzer code seems to be off the air.

There is a guy doing fragmentation testing for reiserfs. It turns
out that (in his tests) reiserfs can get 10x slower as the filesystem
fills up because of intra-file fragmentation. I don't know enough
about reiserfs block/file allocation policy to know how this compares
to ext2 at all.

See http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~loizides/reiserfs/agetest.html

Cheers, Andreas

--