Re: PROPOSAL: dot-proc interface [was: /proc stuff]

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 18:41:07 EST

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Tim Jansen wrote:

> But how can the user know this without looking into the kernel? Compare it to
> /proc/mounts. Proc mounts escapes spaces and other special characters in
> strings with an octal encoding (so spaces are replaced by '\040').

Ah, yes - the horrible /proc/mounts. Check that code in 2.4.13-ac8, will
you?

Yes, current procfs sucks. We got a decent infrastructure that allows
to write that code easily. Again, see -ac8 and watch fs/namespace.c
code dealing with /proc/mounts.

No need to play silly buggers with "one value per file" (and invite the
Elder Ones with applications trying to use getdents()). Sigh...