Re: [Q] pivot_root and initrd

From: Eric (ebrower@usa.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 19:05:34 EST

Andreas wrote:

>> linuxrc does 'exec chroot', chroot does 'exec sh',
>> sh does 'exec init'.
>> Thus init should end up with the same pid as linuxrc.

Exactly, but if init does not have PID 1, we fail. Kai,
it works for HPA because of the magic kernel command line
incantation:

        root=/dev/ram0 (apparently with or without devfs)

Without this, init does NOT get PID 1 and therefore it
all goes south rather quickly. The pivot_root syscall
is handy, but its operation under 2.4.x is disingenuous
at best.