Re: Red Hat needs this patch (was Re: handling NFSERR_JUKEBOX)

From: Bob Smart (smart@hpc.CSIRO.AU)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 05:36:54 EST

> If all you do is intercept read and setattr, then you certainly
> haven't achieved 'enterprise quality'.

I don't have documentation on when Cray's NFSv3 server will return
NFSERR_JUKEBOX, but since inodes aren't migrated to tape I don't
think it is likely on other than read and non-truncate write with
no prior read. Our applications are unlikely to do the latter.

Maybe there is a subset of servers for which the patch is OK, and
we could make that clear in the help for the config option. I'll
ask Cray for clarification about their server.

Bob