Re: How can I know the number of current users in the system?

From: Nicholas Berry (nikberry@med.umich.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 07:38:49 EST

It depends whether you're looking for an idea of who's on, or you want a definitive count. The lattter is basically almost impossible. What if a logged-in user nohups two xterms to different X-servers, then logs out - how many people are logged in? I've spent a hell of a long time working on this on AIX for a certain German bank, and the bottom line is that it can't be done. What is 'logged on' anyway? Someone running bash or ksh, that's cool, but what about someone running /home/fred/myprog? Is it a shell?

Basically once Unix went beyond serial terminals connected to dumb serial ports, we lost the ability to track users.

Nik