Re: How can I know the number of current users in the system?

From: Telford002@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 09:21:36 EST

In a message dated 11/6/01 8:01:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
nikberry@med.umich.edu writes:

> Basically once Unix went beyond serial terminals connected to dumb serial
> ports, we lost the ability to track users.

I would have phrased the comment somewhat different.

Once Unix adopted the process and file I/O abstraction,
a system wide user count became meaningless.

Unix should be contrasted with Primos or VMS where the
user memory space or program and serial terminal I/O
are used in defining the multiuser time-sharing capabilities
of the system.

Joachim Martillo