Re: Olivetti hangs in PCI initialisation

From: John Summerfield (summer@os2.ami.com.au)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 14:12:28 EST

> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 01:06:11AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> >

> > It's bizarre. The machine boots okay with the Red Hat Linux bootnet
> > image for RHL 7.2, and starts running the installer - the the point of
> > configuring my network card.
> >
> > It was hanging at the point where I saw the message "PCI: Using
> > configuration type 1."
>
> Hi.
>
> Some time ago I had an old Pentium Olivetti die on me during boot
> in pci-country. I could work around that with the boot parameter
> 'pci=conf1'. You seem to die in conf1. Maybe you should try out
> conf2 and see what happens?

An interesting idea. I didn't expect it to change anything - it doesn't
look as if it's examining hardware at the critical moment, but then
who's going to say the printed info appears on the terminal before it
progresses to the next statement?

Well it went on and hung in ISAPnP checking.

I deleted the syslinux messages and got even further.

It sounds less bizarre now - it seems it can't scroll, but what next?

It's found the internal sound card and attached (bizarre - why does
that word keep coming up) internal modem attached to the sound card.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.