Q:Howto benchmark preemptible kernel ?

From: szonyi calin (caszonyi@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 11:51:53 EST

Hi
I'm have a Cyrix 486/66 with 12Megs of ram.
I'm using preemptible patches from quite some time
now.
(2.4.10- 2.4.13)
I was using both Robert Love and Andrew Morton's
patch.
I would like to do some benhmarks but there are some
issues:
1. The system is slow and has low memory so a big
benchmark is out of question (compiling the kernel
take 4 hours if i don't touch the console)
2. The benchmark must be small and adequate (patching
the kernel to make a benchmark is out of discussion)

Any ideas ?

(No i don't have money to buy a new machine, I win
200$/month, a new pc (crappy) is 350-400$ (in my
country)).

I did run (some time ago, without preemptible kernel)
some benchmarks (bonnie, and bytebench or something)
but it was no improvement (1% maybe ) whatever I have
done with hdparm or vm tweaking.

P.S. (for Andrew ) Will there be a patch for 2.4.14 ?