Re: Q:Howto benchmark preemptible kernel ?

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 15:29:06 EST

szonyi calin wrote:

> Hi
> I'm have a Cyrix 486/66 with 12Megs of ram.
> I'm using preemptible patches from quite some time
> now.
> (2.4.10- 2.4.13)
> I was using both Robert Love and Andrew Morton's
> patch.
> I would like to do some benhmarks but there are some
> issues:
> 1. The system is slow and has low memory so a big
> benchmark is out of question (compiling the kernel
> take 4 hours if i don't touch the console)
> 2. The benchmark must be small and adequate (patching
> the kernel to make a benchmark is out of discussion)
>
> Any ideas ?

None of these patches make any significant difference
to throughput of anything, really.

If you have a particular latency-sensitive application then
that's the thing which you should be testing with.

There's a modified version of Mark Hahn's `realfeel' app in
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/amlat.tar.gz
which I find to be a convenient way of quantitatively
determining latencies. There are some grubby scripts
in there which create graphical output too.

> P.S. (for Andrew ) Will there be a patch for 2.4.14 ?

J Sloan was the first to send me an updated patch this time.
Thanks!

It needs a bit of maintenance at present - last time I gave it
a good beating (a couple of weeks ago) there were a couple of
ten millisecond blips.