Re: ext3 vs resiserfs vs xfs

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolabs.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 16:42:31 EST

On Nov 07, 2001 23:11 +0200, Zvi Har'El wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Are you SURE you are using ext3? Check /proc/mounts to be sure. What it
> > says in /etc/fstab is irrelevant for the root filesystem.
> >
> /proc/mounts has
>
> /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
> /dev/hda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0
>
> However, tune2fs -l on both /dev/hda1 (the root filesystem) and /dev/hda6
> Filesystem features: has_journal sparse_super
>

> How do fix the situation at this stage? I am using Redhat 7.2 with kernel
> 2.4.9-13

Do you have ext3 compiled into the kernel? I suspect you have it as a module.

Also, given the large number of similar bug reports, maybe RedHat has a bug in
their mkinitrd script which doesn't try to mount the root fs with ext3? I
don't know enough about their mkinitrd tools to say - Alan, Stephen?

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger