printk kernel logging for router

From: william fitzgerald (william.fitzgerald3@beer.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 10:41:17 EST

hi all,
linux newbie here.

i need to know some information in regard to
logging with printk statements.

my plan is to monitor the performance of a linux
router.i'm adding printk statements to the
kernel to every function that is called by
forwarding packets and in that way find precisely
where a packet or packets get lost.

 this is still in progress.

when i finally get all my printk statements in, i
want to be able to flood my router on my own mini
network.(router running on a p133 using
redhat7.1)

my understanding of printk is that each time it
is encountered it is written to disk.so for a lot
of packets there will be alot of writes,
therefore slowing the system and producing false
results.

so how to i buffer or record the printk
statements and print them to disk after my
packets have gone through the router?

 do i edit the printk.c file and change the
line:

                          static char buf[1024];

and increase the size of the array?
or do i edit the klogd.c program and change
something in there?

 many thanks in advance and all comments no
matter how trivial are welcome in order for me
to learn more.

regards william.

Beer Mail, brought to you by your friends at beer.com.