Re: WOL stops working on halt

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 12:50:26 EST

Matt wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have a 3c980 NIC plugged into an Abit KT7-RAID and connected together
> with a WOL cable. I can't seem to get WOL to work using the ether-wake
> utility if I power the box down with shutdown(8). The only way I can
> currently get WOL to work is if I reboot the box, then physically press
> the power button to turn it off.

As far as the driver is concerned, a shutdown and a reboot are identical,
so we need to look at external causes. Presumably Linux APM or BIOS.

> I'm loading the 3c59x.o driver using the enable_wol option, but I'm not
> currently using ACPI. Looking through the 3c59x.c code, I notice it relies
> on the box being put into a certain ACPI state. Will the ACPI code do this
> on shutdown?

The driver has no dependency on the kernel's ACPI code. It
uses a function called `acpi_set_WOL' for historical reasons.

Sorry - that wasn't a lot of help :(